Health benefits of macadamias
Date Posted:10 March 2014
At Morish Nuts, we love macadamias! They’re sweet, refreshing and burtsting with essential vitamins and minerals, as well as mono-unsaturated fatty acids, perfect for a healthy heart.
Here are some more health benefits of macadamias:
- Macadamia nuts have sweet taste and are rich source of energy. 100 g of nuts provide about 718 calorie/100 g, which is one of the highest values among nuts.
- They are packed with numerous health-benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for optimum health and wellness
- 100 g of macadamia provides 8.6 g or 23% of daily-recommended levels ofdietary fiber. Additionally, they are a very good source of phytosterols such as β-sitosterol. However, the nuts contain no cholesterol.
- Since macadamia is free fromgluten, it is one of the popular ingredients in the preparation of gluten-free food formulas. Such formula preparations are a healthy alternative in patients with wheat gluten allergy andceliac disease.
- The nuts are rich source of mono-unsaturated fatty (MUF) like oleic acid (18:1) and palmitoleic acids (16:1). Studies suggest that MUF fats in the diet help lower total as well as LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels in the blood. The Mediterranean diet, which is rich in fiber, MUF fats and antioxidants work favorably in maintaining healthy blood lipid profile and thus offer protection from coronary artery disease and strokes.
- Macadamias are an excellent source of minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese and zinc. 100 g nuts provide 3.6 µg ofselenium. Selenium is a cardio-protective micro-mineral and an important anti-oxidant cofactor forglutathione peroxidaseenzyme.
- Furthermore, the nuts are also rich in many important B-complex vitamins that are vital for metabolic functions. 100 g of nuts provide 15% of niacin, 21% of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), 100% of thiamin, and 12% of riboflavin.
- They contain small amounts of vitamin-A, and vitamin E. Both these fat-soluble vitamins possess potent anti-oxidant activities, which serve to protect cell membranes and DNA damage from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
>> Check out our full macadamia range here.